- 100g dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids) broken up into pieces
- 300ml double cream
- 50g caster sugar
- 1 large egg white
- chocolate shavings, to garnish
- 2 tbsp Amaretto or other liqueur (optional)
Step 1: cream + Chocolate
- Break the chocolate into small pieces and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, heat half of the cream until it begins to boil
- Turn off the heat, add the chocolate pieces and stir until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl set over a large bowl of iced water and add the rest of the cream and Amaretto, if using.
- Using a hand-held electric whisk, beat the mixture to soft peaks. Remove the bowl from the iced water.
Step 2 : Egg White + Sugar
- Separate egg white into a bowl
- Whisk the egg white with a hand-held electric beater until stiff peak.
- Add the sugar, a tablespoon at a time, and continue whisking to a soft meringue.
- Carefully fold the meringue through the chocolate mixture, then spoon or pipe into chilled serving glasses.
- Top with chocolate shavings.